Sunday, March 22, 2009

Illogical Unviersity Doodles

I'm clearing out my old university notes, and I've came across some doodles which I feel compelled to share.

While a recent study suggests that doodling can help memory, these doodles were mostly to occupy my mind while bored in class.

This first one depicts the "Velotone", which I drew in Cognitive Psychology class (with a professor who was otherwise really fun and interesting!):

The rest are all from a philosophy course. I had already taken two other formal logic courses in my studies, and did astoundingly well in both. So when we got to the logic portion of this philosophy class, things between me and Steve (the guy who sat next to me) began to get silly.

Aside from things like deriving equations for pi and writing it out to 101 digits from memory, there was evidence that I was indeed paying a minuscule amount of attention to the subject matter...
Do deaf people hear sound arguments?

If an argument takes place in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, is it still sound?
Then I got to the doodling:


Some of it was even on-topic!

On the next page, Steve and I started to pass notes back and forth. I think he was trying to write with his left hand:
Steve: THESE PEOPLE ARE ALL STUPID! (EXCEPT FOR THAT GUY WITH THE BEARD)

Me: That guy is particularly stupid.
Evidently people didn't understand these really simple logical principles, as evidenced by my note "He's [the professor] making this way too complex."

I even had the foresight to predict that "eventually, he will start saying stuff we don't understand, and we'll completely miss it." (My subsequent test scores proved otherwise, luckily)

Then I got to more doodling, and the creative juices started flowing. Here is an illustration of those juices, as well as the exclamation "Fart-in-a-hat!" (Making use of the equals-sign-three technique of illustrating wind, which I got from watching Art Attack years ago)

On the next page was another doozy:
All straight lines are phallic.
Therefore, geometry is full of phallacies!
Here's a tip for when you're bored: grab a black pen and draw a line that crosses itself before meeting up with the end. Then fill in the alternating segments. If this doesn't occupy you enough, when you're done, rotate the page to look at it from different angles to see if you can pick out anything. Here's a bear doing a somersault:

Eventually, he got into stuff that I didn't already know, and my doodles turned into notes. I will leave you to ponder the logical implications of the statement "if this is boring, then I will not say so."

- RG>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

quite talented.