Sunday, January 22, 2006

My First All-Nighter

Friday night, after the weekly activist movie, I went to the office to analyze four years' worth of financial documents. This took me until about 03:30.

When I got home, I did my regular checking-of-the-internets, ending about 04:30. I went to go to sleep, and failed to do so. So I went back on the internet and started watching video clips from [a website that no longer exists]. I did this until about 10:30am. I then read the two issues of Macleans that I had lying around, and got really tired. I went to sleep at 11:30am.

And then I had to get up at 13:00 again.

It was my very first all-nighter (although not the typical kind, where you do it out of necessity). Prior to this, the latest I'd ever stayed up was about 04:00. I did it without food or drink, and the 6-hour finance meeting at 13:00 was a pain in the body, though I was able to concentrate. Thank you Tim Horton's donuts.

I just hope that I'll be able to make it on Election day--I will be the only Registration Officer working at the polling location, from 09:00 to 21:30 (or later, if there's a lineup when the doors close). Seeing how I'm in Ottawa Centre, a very political riding, and they're predicting a high voter turnout, I might be in for a big day.

Anyway, I'm still sick. I think it might be tonsillitis.

- RG>

[Edited 2007-12-29 to correct the url "[website].org", after discovering a surprising number of referrals for the search term "[website].com". Other errata/updates include: m90 is no longer in my rounds for internet videos; I cancelled my Macleans subscription years ago; the thank-you was to the donuts, not to the corporation; and I was not the only Registration Officer that day; I do, however, still feel a little under the weather.]
[Edited 2023-06-09 because Blogger told me this is 'sensitive content'. I removed the direct references to an old video website that is now a holding page for spammers. Also I was missing the 't' in "All-Nighter" in the title!]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I stayed up all night recently, it was also my first time. Except it wasn't like you. I was over at a friend's of mine and we decided we would camp in the yard for fun. It wasn't that fun, there was a rooster a block away crowing every 20 seconds from about 2:00 to 7:00. I was all by myself, she , of course, fell asleep after a few hours of talking. And I had been outside of the tent looking at the stars, when it got cold. I left all my blankets in the tent, and she had been hugging them, very tightly. Anyway, out of my owm human kindness, I sat in a chair outside from 4:00 to 6:30, when I kicked her and told her to get up. This story is much more horrible with lots of details, but i wouldn't want to bore you.

RealGrouchy said...

Thanks for the comment.

Do I know you?

- RG>