Monday, July 18, 2005

I'm such a wonderful person (diary)

For a while now, I have been wanting to try a new chinese food restaurant that opened up across the street from my office.

Today, I went in and asked if they had a take-out menu I could take with me. They said they didn't. Being the resourceful technophile that I am, I photographed their menu to take it with me.

Then I got cocky.

On the computer at my office, I typed up the menu.

Then I formatted it into columns, in your typical chinese-food-restaurant-take-out-menu foramt. (The first draft accidentally contained the obligatory spelling and formatting mistakes)

Despite the fact that I still didn't (and still don't) know what the name of the restaurant is, I printed it out and brought it with me. I showed it briefly to the server/owner, and placed my order.

When I was done (a very good meal, too) and paid, I went over it with her so I could clear up some of the details. She hesitated a bit when she asked me how much I wanted to do this, and I replied that a free lunch one day would be quite enough. She was very happy.

I explained to her that as a member of my community, it is in my interests that her business does well. Especially if I want to be able to go there for lunch in the future.

Coincidentally, while I was eating there, I got a call from an old professor of mine, who wanted to hire me to show her how to put her course material into PowerPoint (she had previously used many, many handwritten overhead sheets).

All I can say is that what goes around, comes around, and good Karma certainly goes around!

- RG>

No comments: