Monday, June 07, 2004

Sunday/Monday

So yesterday I went to some more Doors Open Ottawa places:

  • the Lemieux Island water treatment facility, where I actually got to see the tanks where they filter the water;

  • the Bytowne Museum, where, admittedly, I didn't see anything on the tour that I didn't already know or couldn't figure out on my own;

  • the former Union Station, made in Beaux-Arts style (which means it looks classical, but everything is fake);

  • the Cartier Square Drill Hall, where there were many interesting exhibits and I got a really neat tour by one of the officers who told us about the new Canadian Forces fatigues; and

  • the former Teacher's College where there really wasn't that much to see, other than the Mayor's Office (boy, does he have a lot of promotional pens and hats).



On my way home by the pathways, it was really windy (the wind blows lightly from the West in the mornings, and strongly from the West in the afternoons, meaning that I pretty much get the worst of both worlds). There was a guy who was stopped on the side of the path; the chain on his son's bike had fallen off, but was stuck inside the chain cover, so he had difficulty in getting it back on. I stopped to help him, as I am a pathway patroller. With my multi-tool and my latex gloves, we eventually got the chain back on, only for it to fall right back off when he tried turnin the pedals. He said that he got the bike at the Great Glebe Garage sale, and thinks that he can fix the problem by cleaning the chain...good luck.

I've made tentative plans to see Super Size Me with some friends at the Bytowne Cinema on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and my swiss army knife broke. I was using the scissors, and the little metal springy thing in the scissors broke in two. It's just as well, because the scissors were wearing down a bit, and I wanted to replace it anyway. I plan to get the same kind, and use the engraved faceplates on my current one.

I started reading No Logo: Taking aim at the Brand Bullies by Naomi Klein (I would link to the official page if I could find it). It's a pretty hefty book, but I'll get through it.

That's all I can think of today. There wasn't anything in the paper this morning that made me feel like bitching about it. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

- RG.

No comments: